- Join Community
- Post to Community
- Gift Paid Account
|Name:||Linguaphiles – for all your language-loving needs|
|Website:||Linguaphiles on Livejournal|
|Posting Access:||All Members|
|Community description:||For anyone interested in language and learning language|
About the Community
From the linguaphiles profile: "Community Purpose: This community is for those interested in languages. Anyone is welcome, from amateurs to professionals. Any topic related to languages, linguistics, grammar, history, etymology, morphology, or any related topics may be discussed. Questions related to one specific language are also welcome."
The lingua franca of this community is English, as it is the language used by the majority of the members. However, posts in other languages are still welcomed; just take note that you may not get as fast of a response if there are not as many members who have a working knowledge of the language in which you're posting.
These are rules that must be followed. You will receive up to two warnings if you violate these rules; your third offense will lead to a ban from the community.
- Do not violate Dreamwidth's Terms of Service.
- Give credit and citations where they're due. For example, if you are requesting a translation for song lyrics, include who the artist is.
- Be respectful and polite when dealing with other members. We aim to create a positive atmosphere that welcomes all kinds of people with an interest in language, languages, and/or linguistics.
- Subpoint: Give members the benefit of the doubt. Many members are in the process of learning languages, so be forgiving of mistakes. Assume best intentions; however, if a member is continuing to be rude and disruptive, please notify a mod, and the situation will be handled ASAP.
These rules are more like guidelines. You will not be banned from the community for violating them, unless you do so in excess and it gets really annoying.
- Google is your friend. Before posting, do a cursory search on Google to see if your question is not already answered. If you are looking for translations of common phrases into a multitude of languages, check Omniglot first.
- While we do want people in the community to know each other, avoid making posts that are solely for the purpose of introduction. However, you are more than welcome to introduce yourself and then continue your post with a question/discussion that is relevant to the community.
- Additionally, there is an introduction post here if you'd like to post a small introduction about yourself that you can link to later.
- The main intent of this community is not for homework help. You are still allowed to post homework questions, so long as you provide sufficient evidence showing that you have indeed done as much as you can. If it's language homework, you are welcome to post your completed homework and ask for corrections; if you're not sure how to do it, make your best guess and we'll do our best to help you. If it's theoretical homework, post which resources you've looked at and what you've tried already. Essentially, don't ask us to do your homework for you. If your question or request would violate your school's Honor Code, it is not welcome here.
- Tattoo posts, how-do-you-say posts, and what-does-this-say posts are all welcome, so long as you follow the other rules and guidelines. If you're not interested in such posts, you are free to ignore them. However, this point is subject to change if the community is being overrun by these kinds of questions.
- Be courteous, polite, and respectful. If you are going to criticize another member, do so in a way that is constructive. Essentially, don't be a jerk.
- Give credit where credit is due.
- Respect people's privacy.
- If you are posting lyrics, stories, poems, etc. to be translated or that are relevant to the community, it would be preferable to link to a copy of the content. If a link is not possible and you choose to include the content in your post, please respect the creator's property rights and take down the content if an official representative of the creator asks you to do so.
How to make a cut:
- <cut>YOUR CONTENT</cut>
- <cut text="TEXT OF CUT LINK">YOUR CONTENT</cut>
The use of cuts is strongly advised in the following situations:
- Posting large images. A good guideline for determining what constitutes "large" would be pictures wider than 600 pixels.
- Posting anything that could potentially be offensive—we aim to be an open community with open discussion, but we would still like to give people ample warning if they do not want to involve themselves with potentially offensive topics.
Cuts are optional but still advised in the following situation(s):
- Long text posts, such as word lists or long walls of text. If you require three or more taps of "Page Down" in order to see the entire entry, it's probably long enough to warrant a cut.
Please tag your entries; it makes life easier for everyone else browsing the community. As of now, all members can create and add tags to their posts; however, please check the tags list for relevant tags before creating your own. This may be subject to change if mods get headaches from trying to organize the tags.
A final note: These guidelines are in place to help keep the community running smoothly. Moderation of this community is intended to be fairly hands-off; don't be a jerk, and we'll all have a great time. :)
Primary Moderator: orchidfire. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to PM me, or e-mail me; my e-mail is listed in my profile.
Layout & Mini Icon Credits here @ noveltybox
profile last updated on May 6, 2009
afrikaans, albanian, algerian, alsatian, american sign language, amharic, apache, arabic, aramaic, aranese, armenian, asl, assamese, assyrian, asturian, austronesian, balinese, basque, bengali, berber, breton, bulgarian, burmese, cantonese, catalan, cebuano, chinese, classical greek, cornish, creole, croatian, czech, danish, devanagari, dialects, dutch, english, esperanto, estonian, etruscan, etymology, faroese, farsi, filipino, finnish, flemish, foreign language, french, gaelic, galician, georgian, german, greek, greenlandic, hawaiian, hebrew, hieroglyphics, hindi, hungarian, icelandic, ilokano, indonesian, interlingua, inuit, irish, italian, japanese, javanese, joual, kashmiri, khmer, kongo, korean, language, languages, lao, latin, latvian, li, linguaphiles, linguistics, lithuanian, malay, malayalam, malayo-polynesian, maltese, mandinka, manx, maya, moldavian, mongolian, nahuatl, nepali, norwegian, occitan, ogham, persian, phoenician, pictograms, pilipino, polish, portuguese, punjabi, riff, romanian, romansch, russian, samoan, sanskrit, sardinian, scottish, serbian, sicilian, sign language, slovak, slovenian, somali, spanish, sumerian, swahili, swedish, syriac, tagalog, tahitian, thai, tibetan, tuareg, tulu, turkish, ubykh, ukrainian, urdu, uzbek, valencian, venetian, vietnamese, welsh, yiddish, zulu
3cb, abitheliotrope, absque_setentia, achacunsagloire, acidrica, adlina, aewyn, aim_of_destiny, aine_silveria, ainokallas, ainsley, ajnabieh,
aleppo, alessandriana, alexseanchai, alicit, alshder, altamira16, altarwise, alternate1985, amihan, ananda_om, anehan, anglo_don_juan, anguissette, auroraprimavera, ayakashi, badkairos, billie, birdwingheart, bolboreta, book_snake, brillando, callisto, calypsotea, canon_is_relative, carnivorousgiraffe, celestial_tapir, celyan, cheuphaet, ciaan, claire_chan, clare_dragonfly, climbingivy, clockwork_key, cloudsinvenice, cloyingly, coldlikedeath, coloringthevoid, congo, conuly, corknut, cuvalwen, dancewithoutyou, dantean, darnia, dhampyresa, dharmavati, digitalghost, djose, doeadeer, dolorosa_12, donata, doughtier, dried_frog_pill, drifter, dunvi, echan, emiette, enchant, ennika, epustota, erika, erratic, esda, ex_heracles30, ex_kamikaze716, ex_milkandhoney222, ex_panty442, ex_stereo814, ex_tapioca866, faere, fajrdrako, falena, fascination, fawkesfires, feedyourhead, felisa, fergmus, feuer_flammenlos, fieryphoenix, fioletv, firiel, fonetiks, formercardassianoppressor, franzeska, geekmama, giapet, gitoh, gregorgasmic, gypsyrifle, hades, hazelnutti, helle, hershele_ostropoler, herzleid, highways, holyschist, horusporus, howlet, hummingwolf, hyperbole, inkedcoffee, inmemorias, insilhouette, integra, iseryn, jabucc, jan, jane, janesattva, je, jenrya, k_a_t_z, kairimorgan, kali_kali, kataboom, kay_mulan, kazari, keeni84, kf, knihomol, knittedbrow, kureha, kyaaa, lady_lavender, ladysunflow, lalalackluster, lauredhel, laurymdragon, legist, libelula, lilacsigil, linda_joyce, linguology, littlebutfierce, lluvia, londonparticular, lostmyzebra, loxian, lusentoj, madeline_katsuragi, madotsuki, magycmyste, malyce, mamculuna, manifold, maquette, marina, marnanel, matrya, maycat, metalheart, miapatrick, mierin, minamar, miseline, mmejavert, mmerdeka, mmoa_writes, mnyonpa, mongoose, monk, moonplanet, ms_daisy_cutter, mshollie, mummimamma, myka, naive, nakuru, nefernat, nihil, nostalgia, notebookcafe, oaktree, oconel, olimay, orchidfire, ossobuco, ovan, padfoot, paper_hand, partialtruths, partlyopenbook, patupaiarehe, pauamma, pekingflower, penn_ar_bed, pica, pilcrow, pinegotree, pittsburgh, pne, polyglotting, porcelaingirl, prettymanly, pthalo, pulchritude, punch, punch_the_stars, purely_medicinal, pyralisha, quabazaa, quil, rathany, rcamus, revolutions, rheasilvia, roguecarbon, rooibos, rosaleda, rosewood, saadhvi, saezutte, samantha, samskeyti, sanggee, sangoire, sangria, sapere_aude, sarashina_nikki, second, seele, senzacaponecoda, setosnicegirl, seven, severusinvictus, shadowandflame, shanrina, shounenarisu, silverblade219, sjcarpediem, slartibartfast, smarttalk12, snakeling, sofiaviolet, solesakuma, sollers, speak_candidly, ssquirrel_fic, st_aurafina, stargazerlily, starry_starrrz, steorra, strangelover, subluxate, suomenkalevi, superluminal, sylvaine, syntheid, syrup, tahiel, temporaly, tempting, terpsichore17, thejeopardymaze, thekumquat, thirdblindmouse, tinchen, tine, today, tonybaldwin, tralfamadore, travels, trenna, trinker, tuulentupa, unen2gemismasin, unujual, urocyon, vaxhacker, verrazano_libra, violeta, wartales, wekhter, whattimeareweupon, wheelieterp, wisc0nsin, witchka, wonder, wood_elf, wulfmann, x2, xancrish, xenolinguist, ysabetwordsmith
3cb, abitheliotrope, absque_setentia, achacunsagloire, acidrica, adlina, aewyn, aim_of_destiny, aine_silveria, ainokallas, ainsley, ajnabieh, alessandriana, alexseanchai, alicit, almadsfeika, altamira16, altarwise, alternate1985, amihan, ananda_om, anehan, anglo_don_juan, anguissette, auroraprimavera, ayakashi, beetlethree, bellakara, billie, birdwingheart, bolboreta, bond_girl, booksandanimals2000, brillando, calime, callisto, calypsotea, camille, canon_is_relative, carnivorousgiraffe, ce_jour_la, celestial_tapir, celyan, cesy, ciaan, claire_chan, clare_dragonfly, climbingivy, clockwork_key, cloudsinvenice, cloyingly, coldlikedeath, coloringthevoid, congo, conuly, ct, cuvalwen, daisuki, dantean, darnia, deird1, dhampyresa, dharmavati, digitalghost, doeadeer, dolorosa_12, donata, doughtier, dragonfly, dried_frog_pill, drifter, dunvi, echan, elliefint, emiette, enchant, ennika, erika, erratic, eva, faere, fajrdrako, falena, fawkesfires, feedyourhead, feuer_flammenlos, fieryphoenix, fioletv, firecat, firiel, fonetiks, geekosaur, giapet, gina87.livejournal.com, giraluna07, glamjam, green_knight, gregorgasmic, gypsyrifle, hades, hazelnutti, helle, hershele_ostropoler, herzleid, highways, holyschist, horusporus, howlet, hummingwolf, hyperbole, in_lighter_ink, inkedcoffee, inmemorias, insilhouette, integra, iona, jan, jane, janesattva, jay_walk, je, jenrya, jessalae, kaiaka, kairimorgan, kali_kali, kataboom, kato_gintari, kay_mulan, kazari, keeni84, kf, kikimora, knihomol, knittedbrow, kureha, kyaaa, lady_lavender, ladybrooke, ladysunflow, lalalackluster, lauredhel, legist, libelo, libelula, lilacsigil, linda_joyce, linguology, littlebutfierce, lizabelle, lloll4, lluvia, londonparticular, lostmyzebra, lucie, madeline_katsuragi, magpyr, magycmyste, mamculuna, manifold, maquette, marnanel, martyna, matrya, metalheart, miapatrick, michelel72, mierin, minamar, missycd, mmejavert, mmerdeka, mmoa_writes, monk, monksandbones, moonplanet, ms_daisy_cutter, mshollie, mummimamma, myka, naive, nakuru, nenena, nihil, nixe, nostalgia, notebookcafe, notthemarimba, oaktree, oconel, olimay, onebluemountain, opera_cat, orchidfire, ossobuco, ovan, padfoot, paper_hand, patupaiarehe, pauamma, pekingflower, penn_ar_bed, pica, pilcrow, pinegotree, pittsburgh, pne, polyglotting, porcelaingirl, practicesmiling, prettymanly, pthalo, punch, punch_the_stars, purely_medicinal, pyralisha, quabazaa, quil, rathany, rcamus, reka, revolutions, rheasilvia, roguecarbon, rooibos, rosaleda, rosewood, saadhvi, saezutte, sally_maria, samskeyti, sanggee, sangoire, sangria, sapere_aude, sarashina_nikki, scfrankles, schneefink, scifisentai, second, seele, senzacaponecoda, setosnicegirl, seven, severusinvictus, shadowandflame, shanrina, silverblade219, silverflight8, sjcarpediem, snakeling, sofiaviolet, sollers, soukup, st_aurafina, stargazerlily, stasha2g, steorra, strangelover, subluxate, suomenkalevi, superluminal, sylvaine, syntheid, syrup, tahiel, tedesson, tempting, terpsichore17, thejeopardymaze, thekumquat, thirdblindmouse, tinchen, today, todeskun, tonybaldwin, touchturnfly, travels, trinker, trobadora, tuulentupa, ukurainajin, unen2gemismasin, urocyon, vaxhacker, verrazano_libra, wartales, waterfall8484, wekhter, wheelieterp, witchka, wonder, wood_elf, wulfmann, x2, xancrish, xenolinguist, yggdra_sil